Wednesday, December 3, 2008
© Copyright 2013
Gwinnett Daily Post
Leak in chimney sparks Winder house fire
WINDER - A leak in the chimney of a wood-burning stove caused a fire Monday in the 800 block of Hog Mountain Road in Winder, an official said.
The fire burned three rooms of the home, causing heavy damages, Barrow County Fire Department spokesman Lt. Scott Dakin said.
No injuries were reported.
Dakin issued a reminder to homeowners who use fireplaces or wood-burning stoves as heat sources to have the chimneys cleaned at least yearly.
Food unattended on stove causes Norcross fire
NORCROSS - No one was injured Tuesday evening in a Norcross apartment fire.
According to reports, firefighters responded to an apartment complex in the 1500 block of Willow Trail Drive at about 6:37 p.m. after a resident reported smoke coming from a two-story apartment building.
Firefighters immediately entered the unit after noticing light smoke from a ground floor apartment. They found a fire in the kitchen, reports said, and were able to contain and extinguish it. Smoke was sent throughout the apartment and occupants of adjoining apartments were temporarily evacuated as a precaution.
Gwinnett Fire Department spokesman Capt. Tommy Rutledge said the fire appears accidental and was apparently caused by food that was left cooking on the stove unattended. The occupants of the home were not home when the fire began but returned shortly after firefighters arrived on scene.