· Open since: April 4
· Location: Bullfrogs is located downstairs in the newly renovated Legacy Lodge and Conference Center at Lake Lanier Islands Resort.
· Owner: Lake Lanier Island Resort
· Hours: Food is served daily from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.; Bullfrogs' lounge area is open daily from 11:30 a.m. to midnight
· Atmosphere: Despite its swamp-creature namesake, Bullfrogs is not your typical themed resort restaurant. Located next to the pool in the uber-posh, rustic confines of the Legacy Lodge and Conference Center - formerly known as the Emerald Pointe Hotel - Bullfrogs is a comfortable, casual place to grab a bite to eat or have a few drinks at the bar after a long day of relaxing without the cheesy wait staff and blinking flair. The 75-seat restaurant has received a complete renovation with an enlarged indoor dining area, a spacious outside patio, and upgraded, hi-tech kitchen facilities. Stone walls, large windows looking out onto the pool and lake and several folksy metal bullfrogs having a grand old time create a good vibe. Servers are friendly and the food arrives in no time. Think of the Virginia-Highlands staple Murphys and a Pottery Barn that serves food and you'll have an idea.
"It will become your favorite restaurant," restaurant manager Pascal Pedaggi said.
It's hard to disagree with his assessment. After all, the Paris, France, native comes from fine culinary pedigree - his father, Antoine, worked as a chef in Paris.
"We pride ourselves on great food, the freshest ingredients," he said. "We really do have everything."
· Menu: Bullfrogs prides itself on fresh, large portions of mainstream American cuisine and desserts. The Lily Pad Combo Platter is a great way to start out a meal with several friends. It includes heaps of onion rings, cheese bites, spicy wings, Asian wings and chicken fingers. For a light lunch or dinner, you'll do well by ordering the Black and Bleau Salad, which features a sizable Caesar salad with blue cheese crumbles and thick cuts of sirloin. The French Dip, Pedaggi's favorite, is also a sight to behold with a mound of roast beef and melted cheese served on a fresh croissant. And don't forget the fried pickle spears, a southern favorite served with ranch dipping sauce.
· Beverages: Coca-cola products, beer, wine and a full liquor bar are available. Eight beers are on tap, including Guinness, Stella Artois, Bud Light, Miller Light and Sam Adams. Bullfrogs' bar area is a chill place to be with friends before dinner or after catching some sun at the Legacy Lodge pool. Be sure to toast the bullfrogs seated high above the bar, too.
· Desserts: While it's hard to not fill up on the entrees, the dessert menu is worth a look and a taste. The menu's six choices includes a chocolate fudge brownie the chef's carrot cake tower and the chocolate peanut butter stack.
Pedaggi recommends the latter, even if you're full.
"Oh, it is so good," he smiles.
· Things you might not know: Bullfrogs validates all parking for nonlodge residents and will even arrange to have a boat pick up your party if you are on the lake and feel the need to nosh.