Official: Smoke detector saved family

LAWRENCEVILLE - A sleeping family of five escaped injury - and rescued the family dog - Friday morning when fire struck their Lawrenceville home.

Their saving grace was a smoke detector's beep, an official said.

The two-story home on Shiloh Court suffered heavy damages after the fire broke out just after 3 a.m. Two adults and three children were awakened by a smoke detector, and were outside the home when firefighters arrived, said Fire Department spokesman Capt. Thomas Rutledge.

Investigators believe the fire, which appears accidental, originated in the basement, he said. Officials called the Red Cross to assist the family.

"This is a testament to why working smoke detectors and home escape plans are so important," said Rutledge.

"The family did exactly what they were supposed to do and everyone made it out safe."

Semi burns on Interstate 85

NORCROSS - A semi carrying a load of roofing shingles caught fire Thursday night on Interstate 85, blocking three southbound lanes of traffic.

The truck caught fire for unknown reasons about 10:40 p.m. just south of Jimmy Carter Boulevard.

No injuries were reported.

Firefighters, who found the cab of the flatbed trailer ablaze when they arrived, were able to contain the fire to the front portion of the truck, Fire Department spokesman Capt. Thomas Rutledge said.

He said the fire was under control by 11:18 p.m.

Fire evacuates Holiday Inn

NORCROSS - A small laundry fire evacuated a Holiday Inn Select on Peachtree Parkway in Norcross early Friday morning.

Firefighters were dispatched to the scene at 3:56 a.m., where they found the six-story building evacuated and light smoke on the first and second floors. Crews contained the fire to a laundry room in the basement area of the building, Fire Department spokesman Capt. Thomas Rutledge said.

The fire apparently started in a bucket of rags, Rutledge said. No injuries were reported.

Hotel guests and staff were allowed to return to the building after firefighters cleared the smoke from the floors and checked for extensions, Rutledge said.