HOSCHTON - Justin Holloman of Peachtree Ridge may have been the top individual performer, but the day belonged to the team effort of Collins Hill.
The Eagles qualified six athletes in five events for the upcoming Class AAAAA state meet as Collins Hill's boys surged to win the Region 7-AAAAA team title on Monday night at Mill Creek.
After Friday's opening events, Collins Hill entered Monday in third place with 40 points, 14 points behind Peachtree Ridge.
Monday got off to a good start for the Eagles with a win in the 400 relay and the Eagles never looked back, taking first place with 142 points for their second straight region crown and third in the last four years.
"The wheels kind of fell off for us at the county meet and we've had a lot of other things go on with injuries and other distractions," Collins Hill head coach Andrew Hudson said. "The group we had out there today isn't exactly the same group we had out there at the start of the season but we are happy that the guys that were out there exemplified everything we tried instill in them."
Three other Collins Hill runners won events with Steve Cash in the 110 hurdles (14.71), Randyn Williams in the 800 run (2:03.40) and Phillip O'Brien in the 3,200 run (9:45.08). Malcolm Miller helped with a second-place finish in the 400 while Curtis Rouse was second in the 100.
For O'Brien, it was his second win in the finals as he also won the 1,600 run on the first day of events on Friday.
Peachtree Ridge also had a strong showing in the meet with a second-place finish at 114 points. Holloman did all he could to bring the region title to his team with wins in both the 200 and 400 runs, clocking respective times of 22.00 and 50.04 seconds.
"I kind of let it go in the 4x400 relay but other than that, I did pretty well." Holloman said. "I couldn't be happier with how my team ran. I could have done a little better but they did real well."
Holloman, who will continue his track career at Columbia, also received some help from Antonio Hayes with a win in the 100, clocking in at 10.67.
Had the Lions not been disqualified in the 400 relay for being out of zone, the chase for the team title might have been a little closer.
"I want to congratulate Collins Hill for their performance today. They were just awesome," Peachtree Ridge head coach Ron Clanton said. "I am proud of how our team ran today. I felt like we got our best kids to the state meet and we have never finished second before. We're getting stronger and maybe just a couple tweaks away from competing for that title."
Mill Creek also qualified four athletes in five events en route to a solid third place finish at 103 points. Brian Graham made state in both the 110 and 300 hurdles, winning the 300 at 39.13 and taking second in the 110.
Joey Mooney was right behind Graham in the 300 hurdles at 40.36 while Andres Tostes (800 run) and Colin Conroy (3,200 run) each had runner-up finishes.
North Gwinnett added a pair of state qualifiers with Kris Baker taking second in the 200 run while the 1,600 relay team closed out the day with a first-place finish at 3:22.66. Norcross also qualified its 400 relay team with a second-place finish.
SideBar: 7-AAAAA Boys Track
Region 7-AAAAA Championships
At Mill Creek High School
1. Collins Hill, 142
2. Peachtree Ridge, 114
3. Mill Creek, 103
4. Norcross, 44
5. North Gwinnett, 34
6. North Forsyth, 31
7. South Forsyth, 23
8. Forsyth Central, 3
9. Duluth, 1
1. Collins Hill, 43.13; 2. Norcross, 43.18; 3. Mill Creek, 43.89; 4. Collins Hill, 44.09; 5. South Forsyth, 45.47 (no sixth place, three teams disqualified)
1. Justin Holloman, Peachtree Ridge, 49.72; 2. Malcolm Miller, Collins Hill, 50.30; 3. Tyler Grant, South Forsyth, 50.49; 4. Tony Burt, Collins Hill, 50.60; 5. Marcelin Holloway, Norcross, 50.91; 6. Paul Kiggwe, Peachtree Ridge, 51.72
1. Antonio Hayes, Peachtree Ridge, 10.67; 2. Curtis Rouse, Collins Hill, 10.90; 3. Kevin Starks, North Gwinnett, 10.98; 4. Charles Perkins, Collins Hill, 11.02; 5. Rashad Carroll, Mill Creek, 11.15; 6. Brandon Hamilton, Duluth, 11.26
1. Steve Cash, Collins Hill, 14.71; 2. Brian Graham, Mill Creek, 14.72; 3. Julius Pettigrew, Collins Hill, 15.20; 4. Rajah Ghani, Peachtree Ridge, 15.81; 5. Cody Williams, South Forsyth, 16.68; 6. Derek Favini, North Forsyth, 16.87
1. Randyn Williams, Collins Hill, 1:59.05; 2. Andres Tostes, Mill Creek, 1:59.28; 3. Bryan Covington, Norcross, 1:59.29; 4. Gator Jackson, South Forsyth, 2:00.73; 5. Bryen Pyles, Peachtree Ridge, 2:02.27; 6. Mitchell Brotherton, Mill Creek, 2:02.39
1. Justin Holloman, Peachtree Ridge, 22.00; 2. Kris Baker, North Gwinnett, 22.10; 3. Curtis Rouse, Collins Hill, 22.27; 4. Malcolm Miller, Collins Hill, 22.33; 5. Antonio Hayes, Peachtree Ridge, 22.40; 6. Airas Wright, Norcross, 22.66
1. Brian Graham, Mill Creek, 39.13; 2. Joey Mooney, Mill Creek, 40.36; 3. Steve Cash, Collins Hill, 41.11; 4. Rajah Ghani, Peachtree Ridge, 41.91; 5. Julius Pettigrew, Collins Hill, 42.51; 6. Trey Patton, Peachtree Ridge, 43.24
1. Phillip O'Brien, Collins Hill, 9:45.08; 2. Colin Conroy, Mill Creek, 9:50.27; 3. Robert Fenesterer, Peachtree Ridge, 9:57.76; 4. Rob Manning, Collins Hill, 10:01.05; 5. Matt Rivers, Peachtree Ridge, 10:12.97; 6. Gator Jackson, South Forsyth, 10:18.86
1. North Gwinnett, 3:22.66; 2. Peachtree Ridge, 3:22.99; 3. Collins Hill, 3:26.85; 4. Norcross, 3:27.23; 5. South Forsyth, 3:29.58; 6. Mill Creek, 3:32.36