The current economic situation is affecting us all. Rising prices, especially on fuel, are forcing many families to cut back in various areas. It's a strain also felt by many companies, including nonprofits.
It stands to reason that in times of economic hardship, even more people need help from entities such as The Quinn House in Lawrenceville, Bread of Life near Dacula or any of the Gwinnett County cooperatives that provide food for the homeless and needy. And with an uncertain economy, people who might ordinarily donate might find themselves holding back.
So shelters who help the needy find themselves in need.
The Quinn House, located in downtown Lawrenceville, is one example of a shelter in need. Canned vegetables, fruit and meat are the most needed items, according to Gene Brinkley, the shelter's executive director. Though The Quinn House has supplies to fulfill its mission for a few months, the combination of increased need and decreased giving has put future months in jeopardy.
The shelter's Web site has a line that reads: "Hunger never takes a holiday or goes on vacation." It doesn't stop during an economic slowdown either, which is why in tough times charity is even more important.
We encourage readers to donate to their local food pantry. The Gwinnett food pantries are:
· Bread of Life. Located at 990 Martins Chapel Road. Call 770-513-1007.
· Hands of Christ Duluth Cooperative Ministry. Located at 3395 Fox St., Suite 101. Call 770-623-9563 or go to www.duluthco-op.org.
· Lawrenceville Cooperative Ministry. Located at 176 Church St.
Call 770-339-7887 or go to www.lawrencevileco-op.org.
· Lilburn Cooperative Ministry. Located at 5329 Five Forks Trickum Road. Call 770-931-8333 or go to www.lilburncoop.org.
· Norcross Cooperative Ministry. Located at 2275 Mitchell Road. Call 770-263-8268 or go to www.norcrossco-op.org.
· North Gwinnett Cooperative Ministry. Located at 70 Wiley Drive. in Buford. Call 770-271-9793 or go to www.northgwinnettcoop.org.
· Southeast Gwinnett Cooperative Ministry. Located at 1200 Athens Highway in Grayson. Call 770-985-5229.
· The Quinn House. Located at 120 S. Perry St. Call 770-962-0470 or go to www.the quinnhouse.com.