Tuesday, April 15, 2008
© Copyright 2014
Gwinnett Daily Post
NORCROSS - A small fire traced to a faulty ventilation unit evacuated children and staff Monday morning from a Norcross church.
Students and staff at a weekday preschool at Christ the King Lutheran Church, 5575 Peachtree Parkway, evacuated the building after someone reported smoke just before 10 a.m.
No smoke or fire was showing when firefighters arrived. Thirty staff and children were evacuated for about a half-hour.
An official said no injuries or structural damages were reported.
"The source was found to be a faulty HVAC unit in the kitchen area of the church," said Gwinnett fire spokesman Capt. Thomas Rutledge.
Rutledge said church staff had contacted a maintenance technician to make repairs.