Government to allow WWI veteran to be buried at Arlington

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. - Friends of the last living American-born veteran of World War I have persuaded federal officials to allow the 107-year-old to be buried at Arlington National Cemetery when he dies.

Frank Woodruff Buckles, who met with President Bush in Washington, D.C., last month, had been eligible for cremation and placement in a columbarium at Arlington, but daughter Susannah Flanagan said Thursday that he preferred a burial.

To be buried underground, Buckles would have had to meet a variety of criteria, including earning one of five medals, such as a Purple Heart. Buckles never saw combat.

Alleged getaway driver arrested in party shooting

FORT WORTH, Texas - The suspected getaway driver in a birthday party shooting that killed a 5-year-old and her grandmother has turned himself in, authorities said Thursday.

Garfield Willis Thompson, 20, was charged with murder in the Sunday shooting that also injured another woman and three other children, police Lt. Paul Henderson said.

Thompson was being held on $1 million bond. It was not immediately clear if he had an attorney.

Jury convicts MLK confidant of incest

LEESBURG, Va. - A jury convicted an iconic civil-rights figure of incest Thursday after concluding that he had sex with his teenage daughter 15 years ago.

The Rev. James L. Bevel, 71, a top lieutenant to Martin Luther King Jr. who also helped organize the Million Man March, faces up to 20 years in prison when he is sentenced.

Bevel's daughter testified that she was repeatedly molested by Bevel beginning when she was just 6 years old, culminating in an act of sexual intercourse in 1993 or 1994 that formed the basis of the incest charge.

Families of Virginia Tech victims reach $11M settlement

ROANOKE, Va. - Most families of victims of the mass shootings at Virginia Tech have agreed to an $11 million state settlement that will compensate families who lost loved ones, pay survivors' medical costs and avoid a court battle over whether anyone besides the gunman was to blame.

Gov. Timothy M. Kaine said Thursday a 'substantial majority' of families of victims of the Virginia Tech shootings agreed to the settlement.

Feds bill California slaughterhouse for massive beef recall

CHINO, Calif. - The federal government said Thursday it has billed a California slaughterhouse more than $67 million for expenses associated with the largest beef recall in U.S. history.

The Department of Agriculture recalled 143 million pounds of beef in February after the Humane Society of the United States released undercover video showing plant employees abusing sick or weakened cows at the Chino-based Westland/Hallmark Co. An agency review found that some of the so-called 'downer' cows were slaughtered in violation of USDA policy, which prompted the recall.

The USDA billed the plant $67.2 million on April 4 for more than 50 million pounds of beef the government purchased for the National School Lunch Program, said Craig Morris, deputy administrator of the USDA's Agricultural Marketing Service.

Attorney: Girl, 10, too young to understand charges

ERIE, Pa. - Two young girls accused of brutally attacking another girl on a playground are too emotionally immature to understand the criminal charges against them and the charges should be dismissed, their attorneys said.

The girls, ages 10 and 11, face aggravated assault and other charges for the attack on another 10-year-old girl at an elementary school playground the evening of April 3. The girls are accused of stomping on the victim and breaking her hip, police said.

Attorney Bruce Sandmeyer said he has similar concerns for his client, the 11-year-old, and expects to file a similar motion in the coming days.

Police follow wrapper trail to catch suspects in candy store robbery

CINCINNATI - Police in Cincinnati say a trail of candy and wrappers led them to suspects in a break-in at a downtown candy store.

Four people have been charged with breaking and entering. One of the four also has been charged with child endangerment.

Police say 19-year-old Christine Ruther had her 7-week-old daughter with her when she and three others broke into Peter Minges & Son candy store Thursday. They are accused of taking about $400 in candy.