LOGANVILLE - A recall of Kroger Smoked Salmon Dip was issued Monday after the Georgia Department of Agriculture found a deadly bacteria in a package of the product at a Loganville Kroger.
The product is packaged by Knoxville-based House of Thaller Inc. and was distributed to most Kroger stores in Georgia, said Meghan Glynn, a Kroger spokeswoman.
John Thaller, president of House of Thaller Inc., did not return a message left Monday morning.
Consumers who purchased 7.5-ounce packages of Kroger Smoked Salmon Dip marked "Use By 04 Nov 2007A LN3 10:48" can return the product to a nearby Kroger for a full refund, Glynn said.
The company is giving its full cooperation to the Department of Agriculture in an effort to get the product off the shelf, said Tommy Irvin, commissioner of the Department of Agriculture.
"That's one of the main issues is getting it out of arm's reach of the public," Irvin said.
The contaminated package contained listeria monocytogenes, which can result in the disease listeriosis. Listeriosis primarily affects pregnant women, newborns and adults with weakened immune systems. An estimated 2,500 people become seriously ill with listeriosis each year and 500 of those people die, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Web site.
The infection can cause fever, muscle aches, nausea and diarrhea. If the infection spreads to the nervous system it can cause headaches, a stiff neck, confusion, loss of balance and convulsions. In pregnant women, it can cause miscarriages.
The contaminated product was found during a routine food sampling by the Georgia Department of Agriculture.
The Georgia Department of Agriculture has announced 71 Georgia or multistate product recalls so far this year, including seven related to listeria, according to the Associated Press.
"We've had more recalls over the last year than we've ever had in the history of the state," Irvin said.
Irvin said the number of recalls is due primarily to an increased emphasis on food testing.
"We take food safety very serious in our department," Irvin said.