Police find 5 dead in murder-suicide

LAYTONSVILLE, Md. - A gunman shot and killed his ex-wife, their three children and himself in a small-town park as the woman prepared to hand over custody, police said Friday.

Their bodies were found Thursday evening in the tiny community of Unity when Maryland-National Capital Park Police officers stopped in the deserted park after noticing two cars with their engines running, said Wayne Jerman, Montgomery County assistant police chief.

The bodies of Gail Louise Pumphrey, 43, of Woodbine, and the three children - ages 6 to 12 - were found in the cars, Jerman said. David Peter Brockdorff, 40, of Frederick, was found nearby with what appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Police said they recovered a handgun near his body.

Former fugitive released from prison

DARIEN, Conn. - A former high school wrestling star who fled to Europe before his rape trial and lived a jet-set life for years before surrendering was released from prison Friday.

Alex Kelly, 40, was released from the Bridgeport Correctional Center just after 7 a.m.

Kelly was convicted in 1997 and sentenced to 16 years in prison for raping a 16-year-old girl in February 1986. He later pleaded no contest to raping a 17-year-old girl four days after the first incident, but received no additional jail time.

In 1987, just before his trial was about to start, Kelly fled the country. He spent the next eight years in Europe, skiing, hang gliding and mountain climbing with money authorities say his wealthy parents sent him. He surrendered in Switzerland in 1995.

Michigan teen gets stuck in chimney

ROYAL OAK, Mich. - A teenager worried about coming in past curfew did his best Santa Claus and headed down the chimney.

Unfortunately, he didn't slide down quite as well as St. Nick.

The 17-year-old boy was trying to sneak back into his room at the Judson Center social services agency Thursday night when he got stuck. A worker at the Center heard moaning and followed the noise to the chimney, authorities said.

Firefighters and police officers had to pull him out.

Toddler survives fall from third floor

NEW YORK - A toddler who crawled out a third-floor window during his family's Thanksgiving festivities and fell onto a store roof not only survived - he didn't even break a bone.

Brandon Priebe said his 14-month-old son, Bradley, tumbled from a bedroom window in his aunt's Brooklyn apartment on Thursday. His relatives said they thought the window was closed.

Bradley fell about 20 feet onto the roof of a music store next door, police said. Priebe told police that his son wasn't seriously injured in the fall.

Dog's love of bark could cost owner

ALTOONA, Pa. - A pit bull that likes to get a lot of bark in its bite could end up costing its owner $3,100.

This summer, Tyler Port allowed his dog, Rossman, to run loose in a park. The dog apparently had a habit of chewing bark off trees, and Port was cited for failure to keep the dog under control.

John Iorio, the city's dog law officer, also is seeking $3,100 to cover the cost of replacing three honey locust trees, which a consultant said may die.

Port, 22, says his dog had an 'infatuation' with trees and enjoyed rubbing up against them and hanging on their limbs from her teeth.

Plaintiffs see plenty of blame for fire

PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Al Prudhomme figures there's plenty of blame to go around for a fire that killed two of his band mates and about a dozen of his friends in the 2003 nightclub blaze that killed 100 people.

Prudhomme and other survivors and victims' relatives have sued more than 90 people and businesses in all, some of which are related companies or subsidiaries.

'It's not any one person,' said Prudhomme, whose band Fathead performed at The Station nightclub in West Warwick before Great White took the stage with a pyrotechnic display that triggered the fire. 'It's a collaboration of mistakes by people.'

'Dinnertime Bandit' arraigned in court

STAMFORD, Conn. - A man dubbed the 'dinnertime bandit' for allegedly robbing wealthy homes - often while residents dined - was brought before a judge Friday for arraignment, nine years after he fled to Europe.

Alan W. Golder, 52, did not enter a plea in Stamford Superior Court and was ordered held on a $3 million bond.

Golder was extradited from Belgium on Wednesday and taken to Greenwich, where police charged him with 38 felony counts and one misdemeanor including burglary, larceny, robbery and kidnapping, stemming from 16 break-ins that occurred between September 1996 and October 1997.