Saturday, November 24, 2007
© Copyright 2013
Gwinnett Daily Post
DULUTH - A family was displaced from their home Thanksgiving night after a chimney fire spread to the attic, but no one was injured in the blaze, said Lt. Thomas Rutledge, spokesman for the Gwinnett County Fire Department.
The residents of 2647 Rhonda Court in Duluth decided to use the fireplace because it was cold Thursday, Rutledge said. After hearing a crackling sound, they stepped outside to investigate the cause and found their roof was on fire, he said.
The occupants tried to extinguish the blaze with a portable fire extinguisher but were unsuccessful, Rutledge said. When firefighters arrived after receiving the 9:14 p.m. call, flames could be seen through the roof of the split-level home. The fire was under control at 9:35 p.m., he said.
The fire caused heavy damage to the attic and a bedroom, Rutledge said. There was also smoke, heat and water damage throughout the second floor of the house.
Firefighters believe the blaze started accidentally, climbing the chimney chase into the attic, Rutledge said. There was also damage around the firebox, he said.
The two adults and two children who live in the house are staying with family members and neighbors, Rutledge said.