0

Report: Student died of accidental asphyxiation

WINDER - The Winder-Barrow High School senior who died during an after-prom party April 29 passed away due to accidental asphyxiation, said David Crosby, Barrow County coroner.

Toxicology reports released Wednesday describe Leland Martin, 18, of Winder, as highly intoxicated the night of the party. Martin either fell asleep or passed out and was laying in a position that cut off his ability to breathe. Because of his highly intoxicated state, he was unable to wake up and change position, said Maj. Murray Kogod, Barrow County's chief deputy.

"Leland Martin's death was the result of positional asphyxia due to airway compression in a person acutely intoxicated by ethanol," Kogod said in a written statement.

Martin was found dead in an Auburn residence about 12 hours after the prom ended. He died four weeks prior to graduation.

Two high school seniors and the owner of the home where the party was held were arrested earlier this month and charged as part of the investigation. The charges were not directly related to Martin's death.

Barbara Ann Michael, 39, of Auburn, is charged with nine counts of contributing to the delinquency of a minor, two counts of maintaining a disorderly house and one count of being party to a crime of furnishing alcohol to a minor in connection with the April 28 party and at least one other party.

Jerry Donta Sanders, 19, of Statham, faces one count of simple battery for allegedly kicking Martin when he was on the ground.

Anthony Perry, 19, of Auburn, faces a single reckless conduct charge for failing to call 911 after finding Martin in poor condition.