LAWRENCEVILLE - Sixteen of Gwinnett County Public Schools' graduates have reported receiving appointments to the country's federal service academies.
The academies are educational institutions that prepare students for leadership service in the military. The appointments are worth more than $4.5 million, according to Gwinnett County Public Schools.
The class of 2007 has the highest number of academy appointments in the past five years.
Brett Dahlin of North Gwinnett High has been appointed to the U.S. Coast Guard Academy.
The following students have been appointed to the U.S. Air Force Academy:
• Sean Christy of South Gwinnett High
• Kristen Michelle Donaldson of Collins Hill High
• Chad Gross of North Gwinnett High
• Christine Michelle Johnson of Collins Hill High
• Russell Mainor of Shiloh High (who has also received an appointment to the U.S. Naval Academy)
• Cory McCart of Central Gwinnett High
• Kristopher Swanson of Central Gwinnett High
• Jasper Williams of North Gwinnett High
The following have been appointed to the U.S. Military Academy at West Point:
• Adam Geil of North Gwinnett High
• Kiernan Kane of Duluth High
• Sam Kazmer of Brookwood High
• Ami Patel of Meadowcreek High
The following have been appointed to the U.S. Naval Academy:
• Steven Gower of Brookwood High
• James Simien of Norcross High
• Mark Veazey of Meadowcreek High