Police, fire reports

Employees forced into store freezer

•DULUTH - Two Subway sandwich shop employees were shoved in a store freezer after a man robbed the store Friday.

According to a police report, a man armed with a gun barged into the store located at 3083 Breckinridge Blvd. about 10 p.m. demanding money from the register and safe.

The employees were only able to provide the man with $30 to $40 from a store cash till. After taking the money, the man forced the two into the freezer.

The thief is described as a black man, wearing black clothing and a bandanna over his face. The employees thought they recognized the man as a frequent customer of the store.


supplements stolen

•DULUTH - A Hoschton man said someone stole more than 1,000 boxes containing weight-loss supplements from his Duluth storage units.

According to a police report, the man noticed the boxes were missing Sunday. Apparently someone cut the locks off the man's two units at Public Storage located at 4475 Satellite Blvd.

The man said he had not been at the unit since January, but entry records indicated someone visited one of the units at 6:13 a.m. April 17.

Woman finds stolen items in antique store

•BRASELTON - A woman told police she discovered several items in a Braselton antique store Saturday that had been reported stolen from her home.

She filed a burglary report with the Barrow County Sheriff's Office in March, police reports state.

Braselton police obtained the name, license plate number and cell phone number of the man who sold the items to the antique store, according to police reports. Barrow County investigators are researching the case.

Fire starts

in laundry

room of hotel

•LAWRENCEVILLE - A hotel worker received minor injuries when a fire started in the laundry room of a Hampton Inn on Wednesday morning.

The fire at the hotel at 1135 Lakes Parkway was contained to a commercial clothes dryer in the laundry room on the first floor of the building, said Gwinnett County Fire Department spokesman Lt. Thomas Rutledge.

Hotel employees used a dry-chemical extinguisher to put out the fire before crews arrived. The fire sent smoke throughout the laundry area and an adjacent hallway.

A female employee who was in the laundry area was evaluated at the scene for a minor injury after being exposed to smoke, Rutledge said. She was released by paramedics and did not require transport to the hospital. No other injuries were reported. The building was turned back over to maintenance at 10:14 a.m., and occupants were allowed to return to the building.

- From wire reports