Sunday, March 18, 2007
© Copyright 2015
Gwinnett Daily Post
DULUTH - Gwinnett Place Mall was evacuated Saturday night after a fire started in a clothes dryer at a nail salon on the lower level.
Gwinnett County Fire Department spokesman Lt. Tommy Rutledge said the fire put itself out by the time firefighters had located it at Day Spa. The only damage caused by the fire was to the clothes dryer, Rutledge said.
Mall patrons were evacuated about 7:50 p.m. when moderate to heavy amounts of smoke began to fill the common area near the food court.
"It was a Saturday night and it was cold outside, so there were a lot of people in the mall, but no one was injured," Rutledge said.
The building remained evacuated and the mall closed 20 minutes early so firefighters could clear the smoke.
Rutledge said mall officials indicated it would be open for normal hours tomorrow.