Gas leak closes road in Snellville
•SNELLVILLE - A construction crew digging on Highpoint Road on Friday caused a leak after hitting a gas line.
Highpoint Road was closed between Bruckner Boulevard and McGee Road for a little more than an hour, and seven homes in the area were evacuated until the leak was brought under control, authorities said.
Atlanta Gas Light responded to stop the leak and repair the line.
Men demand money from Duluth woman
•DULUTH - A Duluth woman handed over her purse to two men who appeared at her door at the Charleston at Sweetwater apartments Tuesday night demanding money, a police report said.
According to the report, a Hispanic man knocked on the woman's door asking for a man who did not live at the Amber Trail apartment.
When the woman cracked her door and told the man that person did not live there, a black man armed with a semiautomatic pistol pushed past the Hispanic man and demanded the woman give him money.
When the woman told him she had no money he pointed the gun at her and demanded money again. The woman went to her dining room, got her purse and handed it to the man.
Both men fled with the purse containing about $300, the woman's Social Security card and a number of credit cards.
Man steals money after invading home
•LOGANVILLE - A Loganville resident said a man entered his home Monday night, assaulted him and stole money from another person inside his home.
According to a police report, a white man came to the Burning Bush Drive residence and, while armed with a gun, demanded the residents get on the ground and give him all their money.
The armed man pistol-whipped the man and took $1,000 out of the pants pocket of another man who lived at the Loganville home then fled in a black Ford Ranger.
The man hit with the gun developed a large bruise on his face and had a laceration above his right eye. The man was treated at his home by medics.
Fire destroys Bethlehem home
•BETHLEHEM - A family of four was displaced by a fire that destroyed their home at 2:38 p.m. Thursday.
Barrow County firefighters have not determined the cause of the fire that consumed the house at 520 Makinaw Drive in Bethlehem. No one was injured in the fire, although one resident was home at the time.
An off-duty Sandy Springs firefighter helped control the blaze, according to Lt. Scott Dakin, spokesman for Barrow County Fire and Emergency Services.
"We want to thank the neighbors who brought bottled water and Gatorade to the firefighters," Dakin said.
- From staff reports