Pregnant woman sexually assaulted

Mother goes into labor; police awaiting description of attacker

LAWRENCEVILLE - Gwinnett police are awaiting a more detailed description of the man who sexually assaulted a 20-year-old pregnant woman at a Lawrenceville apartment complex Sunday.

The woman was transported to Gwinnett Medical Center after the incident and went into labor while she was there. The victim was about eight months into her pregnancy, Gwinnett County Police Department spokesman Cpl. Darren Moloney said Tuesday.

Both the mother and her newborn daughter are doing well and are expected to be released, Moloney said.

Police are letting the mother recover before trying to get enough information to create a composite sketch of the offender. Moloney said they're hoping to do that later in the week.

"Hopefully, once she's physically stable we'll be able to get a better description," Moloney said. "We're going to tend to her physical needs first."

Police found little information when talking to other residents at the Gwinnett Village Apartments and can only describe the offender as a young Hispanic man.

The attack occurred approximately 7:15 a.m. Sunday after the victim's husband had left for work, a Gwinnett police press release indicated.

The victim was getting ready to leave the apartment with her 2-year-old child when she heard a knock on the door. She opened it to find her attacker.

The man asked for directions and the victim told him she couldn't help him. When she tried to close the door, the man forced his way in.

He then forcefully took the victim into another room of the apartment, away from the 2-year-old, and sexually assaulted her. The offender then ran away.

Police were notified and arrived on the scene.

The victim was taken to the hospital, but the 2-year-old was not harmed, police said.

Natasha James, who was moving into the Gwinnett Village Apartments on Tuesday, said she didn't know anything about the incident and was surprised to hear the news. James had stayed at the apartment complex for about 11⁄2 months back in March and was moving in with family again.

"Things can happen anywhere," said James, who has an 8-month-old son and a 5-year-old son. "This didn't seem like a dangerous area, but it does scare me. It seemed like a very quiet neighborhood."

Another resident, Irene Diaz-Bazan, said the complex is anything but quiet.

"It's a very, very dangerous place," Diaz-Bazan said.

Diaz-Bazan said she recently moved to the apartments with her 3-year-old son. She's already begun thinking about moving somewhere else.

"Now I have to look for another neighborhood," Diaz-Bazan said.

As of early Tuesday afternoon, management at the Gwinnett Village Apartments' leasing office said they had not heard anything about the incident.