Wednesday, June 20, 2007
© Copyright 2014
Gwinnett Daily Post
BETHLEHEM - A fire started by sparks from a cutting torch destroyed four vehicles Monday, according to fire reports.
A man was working on the underside of a car on Harry McCarty Road with the torch Monday afternoon. The sparks from the torch caught the grass in the adjoining field on fire. The grass fire spread to four junk vehicles, which were completely destroyed before Barrow County firefighters could extinguish the blaze. Smoke from the fire caused work to cease for awhile at the nearby Neil's Auto Body Shop.
"With the drought conditions we have, an outdoor fire can grow very fast," said Lt. Scott Dakin, spokesman for Barrow County's Fire and Emergency Services.
Barrow County has an outdoor burn ban in effect until Oct. 1.
- From staff reports