Tuesday, June 19, 2007
© Copyright 2014
Gwinnett Daily Post
Children evacuated from day care center
•BUFORD - About 50 children were evacuated from a day care center Monday after a small fire in the center's ceiling.
The children were at the Children's Learning Center at 185 Scott St. when firefighters found several smoldering hot spots in the attic said Lt. Thomas Rutledge, spokesman for the Gwinnett County Fire Department.
They were evacuated at 12:07 p.m. on a bus from the Buford City Schools. Rutledge said parents were called to pick up their children, and no one was injured.
The attic fire appeared to be electrical, he said, and firefighters had to pull down most of the ceiling and remove insulation to extinguish the blaze.
The day care center was not able to reopen.
Van crashes through neighbor's garage
•SNELLVILLE - A van that reportedly shifted out of gear ran through the garage door of a house across the street, hitting a motorcycle that was parked inside.
No one was in the van at 4:11 p.m. when it rolled through a neighbor's yard on Willowmeade Drive before going through the garage door, said Lt. Thomas Rutledge, spokesman for the Gwinnett County Fire Department. No one was home at the time, and no one was injured in the incident.
The van, garage door and motorcycle were damaged, but no structural damage was reported, Rutledge said.
- From staff reports