Judge approves $660M settlement for clergy abuse

LOS ANGELES - A judge on Monday approved a $660 million settlement between the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles and more than 500 alleged victims of clergy abuse, the largest payout yet in a nationwide sex abuse scandal.

Some of the plaintiffs sobbed as the deal was formally approved, and a moment of silence was held for others who had died during the years of negotiations.

The deal came after more than five years of negotiations and is by far the largest payout by any diocese since the clergy abuse scandal emerged in Boston in 2002.

Airport bomb scare turns out to be human ashes

MIAMI - A Miami International Airport terminal was briefly evacuated early Monday after authorities found what appeared to be an explosive device but turned out to be a box containing cremated human remains.

A watch, the ashes and other items were spotted in the box, which at first appeared to be part of an explosive device, said Transportation Security Administration spokesman Christopher White. The box was in an X-ray machine scanning checked luggage near a United Airlines ticket counter, he said.

Last of 5 Tenn. state lawmakers charged in probe

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - The last of five lawmakers indicted in an undercover public corruption probe dubbed Tennessee Waltz pleaded guilty Monday to bribery.

Former state Sen. Kathryn Bowers, 64, a Memphis Democrat, pleaded guilty to one federal count accusing her of splitting $11,500 with an accomplice who served as a go-between with FBI agents posing as dishonest businessmen. She had insisted for two years that she was innocent.

In exchange for her plea, prosecutors dropped five more serious charges of extortion, each carrying up to 20 years in prison.

Armed man shot and killed outside governor's office

DENVER - A man carrying a gun and declaring 'I am the emperor' was shot and killed Monday outside the offices of Gov. Bill Ritter by a member of the governor's security detail, a spokesman said. Ritter was not injured.

The unidentified man refused orders to drop his gun, spokesman Evan Dreyer said. Four or five shots were heard, but authorities would not say how many times the security officer fired.