0

Police/fire reports

Police

Man robbed at gunpoint

•NORCROSS - A Norcross man told Gwinnett County police he was robbed Friday at gunpoint.

The man was at Kendall Apartments, where he lives, when a man with a black handgun approached him and ordered him to lie on the ground, according to a police report. Two other men searched him and took his wallet and money.

After the robbery, the three men ran to a gold van driven by an unidentified person.

The robbery victim told police he chased the men until the man with a gun threatened to shoot him.

Teen charged after passing out

•LAWRENCEVILLE - An allegedly intoxicated teenager was arrested Saturday after she asked to use the phone at a Lawrenceville man's home and then passed out on the couch.

The man called police Saturday after he let the teen into his home to use the phone. The teen dialed "various numbers" before she moved to sit on the couch, according to a Gwinnett County police report.

When officers arrived, the teen was breathing but not alert or conscious. The officer roused her, and she said she was "at her two friends' house," the report states. She also repeatedly told the officer it was Thursday.

When the officer asked her if she had anything to drink, she replied, "Just one 40."

Kathryn Brunk, 18, of Buford was arrested on charges of disorderly conduct and possession of alcohol by a person under age 21.

Vandals strike unoccupied home

•BUFORD - An unoccupied house in Buford was damaged and vandalized in January.

An employee of Property Preservation Inc. recently told Gwinnett County police he found the rear door of the home on Pebble Brook Drive kicked open and graffiti on the back outside wall of the house.

Almost every interior wall of the home has large holes kicked into the drywall, causing $5,000 in damage, according to a police report. The doors had been smashed in, and part of the ceiling had been knocked down.

Police also found $1,000 in copper wires had been cut from the breaker box.

Gwinnett fire

Dacula home destroyed by fire

•DACULA - A basement fire destroyed a home Monday at 596 Tanner Road in Dacula.

Firefighters found heavy fire showing from the basement of the single-story house on arrival, said Lt. Thomas Rutledge, spokesman for the Gwinnett County Fire Department.

The first floor of the home collapsed into the basement, Rutledge said. It took about an hour for firefighters to knock down the bulk of the blaze, but crews were extinguishing hot spots for hours, he said.

Fire officials believe the fire started in the basement near the furnace.

Occupants were home at the time and escaped without injury. The Red Cross responded to assist two adults and four children displaced by the blaze.

Powdered bleach spill prompts school to evacuate

•LAWRENCEVILLE - Firefighters responded to a hazardous materials incident Monday inside the Health and Sciences building at Gwinnett Technical College.

About 24 11-ounce bottles of 5 percent bleach were spilled in a cabinet in a bioscience lab, Rutledge said. The chemical was identified as concentrated bleach in powder form, which poses an inhalation hazard.

A staff member smelled a strange odor and alerted the Fire Department. The building was evacuated as members of the hazmat team arrived, and many students and staff members were out of the building for lunch.

An adult female staff member working in a nearby office was evaluated after minor exposure to the product. She was released at the scene.

The product was safely removed and the building ventilated. All students and staff were allowed to return shortly before 1:30 p.m.

Fireplace ashes start grass fire

•BUFORD - Fireplace ashes discarded on a pile of leaves started a grass fire Monday that spread to yards on two streets in Buford, Rutledge said.

The fire engulfed three sheds on White Oak Drive, a wood pile and several pieces of lawn equipment. Two yards on Owen Circle were also scorched.

Dry grass and steady winds contributed to the fast spread of the fire, Rutledge said.

Fire crews were able to contain the blaze, and no homes were damaged.

No one was at home in any of the houses, and no injuries were reported.

Grass fire damages 4 Loganville homes

•LOGANVILLE - Firefighters on Monday extinguished a grass fire burning in four yards on Granite Falls Lane in Loganville.

The blaze caused minor siding damage to four houses before being brought under control, Rutledge said.

No one was home in three of the four houses, and firefighters had to force entry. The fire was contained to the outside and did not extend inside at any of the houses, Rutledge said.

The fire appears to have started accidentally from twigs and limbs burning in a yard, Rutledge said.

Smoke detector saves family

•SNELLVILLE - A sleeping family awoke to the sound of a smoke detector early Monday morning and found light smoke inside their home at 3459 Traddsprings Way in Snellville.

The occupants escaped without injury and called 911. Firefighters found heavy fire showing from the garage on arrival, Rutledge said.

The fire heavily damaged the garage and completely destroyed a car that was parked inside the garage. There was no extension of fire in the main living space, but water damage was reported in the kitchen.

The cause of the fire was not immediately determined and is under investigation.

Two adults and two children were displaced, but they denied Red Cross assistance.

Blaze spreads

from fireplace

•BUFORD - A Buford family on Sunday was displaced from their home on Sardis Drive after a fire in a fireplace extended past the fire box and caught the one-story house on fire.

Firefighters had to open the walls immediately around the fire box and the chimney chase to completely extinguish the blaze, Rutledge said.

The blaze caused moderate damage to the chimney chase and inside the walls immediately around the chimney. No injuries were reported. The family did not request Red Cross assistance.

Firefighters forced to return to house

•BUFORD - Firefighters responded twice to extinguish fire in a small wood frame house on Elliott Street in Buford, Rutledge said.

Firefighters extinguished fire Sunday evening in the walls and floor of the home. A flare up from a fire hidden in the home caused firefighters to return early Monday morning.

No injuries were reported.

Building burns

•LAWRENCEVILLE - Fire on Sunday afternoon destroyed an out-building behind a residence at 912 Adah Lane in Lawrenceville.

The occupant left a bin of limbs burning in the back yard, and the fire extended to nearby pine straw and ignited the building, Rutledge said. The fire also damaged two adjacent fences.

No injuries were reported.

Electrical fire found in kitchen wall

•LAWRENCEVILLE - An occupant of a home on Plantation Road in Lawrenceville called 911 Sunday morning to report a possible electrical fire in the wall of the kitchen.

Firefighters found moderate smoke inside the home on arrival and extinguished a small fire inside the wall, Rutledge said.

No injuries were reported.

Cat, dog saved

from house blaze

•STONE MOUNTAIN - Fire on Saturday destroyed a house at 4915 Wycliffe Drive in Stone Mountain.

Firefighters found heavy fire showing from a split-level house and flames through the roof just past 8 p.m. Saturday. The occupants, a married couple, were not at home when the fire started, Rutledge said.

Firefighters rescued a dog and a cat from the blaze. A second cat was not immediately found.

The fire appears accidental and started in the area of the laundry room, Rutledge said.

The Red Cross was called to assist the couple.

Woman injured

in grease fire

•LAWRENCEVILLE - A grease fire caused heavy damage to a kitchen Friday evening in an apartment on Sandalwood Circle in Lawrenceville.

A woman attempted to extinguish the flames and suffered a minor injury to the hand from direct flame contact, Rutledge said.

The Red Cross assisted two adults and two children displaced by the blaze.

- From staff reports

Barrow police/fire

Clothes dryer blamed for fire

•WINDER - A clothes dryer is believed responsible for a Friday night fire that damaged a catering business.

Winder firefighters responded to a fire at The Master's Table, 80 Kelly Drive at 8:24 p.m. The fire was contained by 11:09 p.m.

Chief Raymond Mattison said he feels confident the fire was started by a clothes dryer. Firefighters found moderate damage to the laundry room and heat damage throughout the rest of the building. The fire did no structural damage and no other buildings were in danger, Mattison said.

Men storm apartment, rob renters

•WINDER - Six black men broke into an apartment and used a handgun to rob five Hispanic men at 9:01 p.m. Sunday.

The men entered by kicking in the front door. The robbers took about $40, police reports state.

The renters and the robbers were strangers to each other. The renters stated the men did not have their faces covered and were between the ages of 18 and 20 years.

- From staff reports