Police, fire briefs

Neighbors argue over hog carcass

•STATHAM - Barrow County sheriff's deputies responded to a report Jan. 22 of an illegally dumped hog carcass.

The property owner told deputies that his neighbor had recently slaughtered a hog and dumped the carcass on his property. His two Labrador retriever dogs had gotten into the carcass several times and gotten sick, resulting in high veterinary bills, police reports said.

Deputies walked the property but found no hog carcass. Deputies told the property owner that wild animals, like coyotes, could have dragged the carcass onto his property.

Deputies then contacted the neighbor who slaughtered the hog. The hog's owner admitted he had slaughtered it, but that he had put the unused parts in a bag to be disposed of. He believed the dogs had come onto his property, tore open the bag and retrieved the body parts.

Deputies advised the hog owner to dispose of the parts in a proper manner next time and reminded the dog owner of Georgia's leash laws.

Beer stolen off of truck

•WINDER - Two employees of a beverage distribution company reported five cases of Miller Lite beer taken from their truck Jan. 22. The beer was taken while the two men were inside a gas station. The beer was valued at $85. There were no suspects.

Air compressor taken from home

•WINDER - A woman left a yellow air compressor in the driveway of her home. Two days later, on Jan. 24, she discovered the air compressor missing. She told Barrow County deputies it was valued at $49. There were no suspects.

Snellville home damaged in fire

•SNELLVILLE - A heavy fire Thursday afternoon resulted in heavy damage to a home in Snellville.

The house, located on Vine Street, was home to two adults and one child, said Gwinnett Fire Department spokesman Lt. Thomas Rutledge.

The family was not home at the time but has been displaced, he said.

The call was dispatched at 5:21 p.m.

"Flames broke through the roof before firefighters could bring it under control," Rutledge said. "The blaze caused heavy damage to the structure."

Rutledge said the main body of the fire was knocked down just eight minutes before 6 p.m., but crews were still at the scene hours later dousing hotspots and conducting overhaul operations.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation.

- From staff reports