Norcross' Parks commits to Tuskegee
Norcross senior Kendall Parks recently committed to the Tuskegee University football program.
Parks, a defensive back, had 54 tackles for the Blue Devils this season and two interceptions, including a game-clinching one in overtime against Collins Hill.
He becomes the fifth Norcross senior to commit to a college, following Brooks Cunningham (Tulane), Darius Hanks (Alabama), James Simien (Navy) and Matt Tribble (Austin Peay). Quarterback Bryce Dykes is still deciding.
Richt's son commits to Clemson
ATHENS - Jon Richt, the oldest son of Georgia football coach Mark Richt, has committed to play for Clemson, his Prince Avenue Christian high school coach, Richard Ricketts, said Friday afternoon.
Richt, a 6-foot-2, 205-pound junior quarterback, threw for 1,600 yards last year for the Wolverines. Richt, who committed Thursday night, attended Clemson's summer camp last June and was extended a scholarship offer by Clemson offensive coordinator Rob Spence.
Richt is the Tigers' fourth commitment for 2008.
High school coach in Maine fired after pep talk
LEEDS, Maine - A high school basketball coach was fired after telling his players at halftime to reach into their pants to ''check their manhood,'' administrators said.
Leavitt Area High School Principal Patrick Hartnett said coach Mike Remillard told the varsity boys Jan. 23 that ''tonight's game was about who had the biggest (male genitalia) in town.''
''He then required his players to all stand up and put their hands down their pants and check their manhood,'' Hartnett said in the statement, which was read to school board members Thursday by Superintendent Thomas J. Hanson a day after the coach was dismissed.
All but one player followed the coach's instructions, Hartnett said. The team won the game.
Remillard, who was in his fourth season as varsity coach, called the pep talk ''normal locker room banter from Fort Kent, Maine, to San Diego, California,'' but said he still should not have done it.
Pavano says he's ready to return to Yankees
NEW YORK - Carl Pavano says he's healthy and ready to pitch again in the major leagues.
Really. Honestly. Truly.
''I've thrown three bullpens. I just threw one this morning. I feel pretty good,'' he said Friday.
The New York Yankees pitcher, starting the third season of a $39.95 million, four-year contract, hasn't pitched in the major leagues since June 27, 2005, due to shoulder, back, buttocks, elbow and rib injuries. Earlier in the week, teammate Mike Mussina said Pavano ''needs to earn the trust from the players, the coaches, the manager and the organization.''
- From staff, wire reports