Friday, August 24, 2007
© Copyright 2013
Gwinnett Daily Post
LAWRENCEVILLE - A Duluth man was hospitalized Thursday evening with minor injuries after a home-cooked meal got out of control.
Gwinnett firefighters responded just after 6:30 p.m. to a report of a house fire with an injury at 1889 Noblin Woods Trail in Duluth. Once inside, firefighters found a man with minor hand injuries caused by exposure to hot grease.
The man had been cooking on a kitchen stove when a grease fire ignited. He then attempted to move a pan off the stove and was splashed by grease, said Gwinnett County Fire Department spokesman Lt. Thomas Rutledge.
The man was transported to Gwinnett Medical Center in Lawrenceville for further evaluation.
The fire was out when firefighters arrived after sending light smoke throughout the house, Rutledge said. No extension of flames or structural damage was reported.
"Never attempt to move a burning pan from the stove," Rutledge said. "Have a portable fire extinguisher close by in the kitchen."