Thursday, August 9, 2007
© Copyright 2013
Gwinnett Daily Post
LAWRENCEVILLE - A house fire in Duluth on Thursday afternoon injured a woman who tried to extinguish the fire herself before emergency crews arrived.
The fire originated in a kitchen at 3190 Windsor Gate Run, where crews were dispatched at 2:44 p.m.
Gwinnett County Fire Department spokesman Lt. Tommy Rutledge said the woman was exposed to heat products, resulting in the minor injury. She was assessed on scene by paramedics but was not transported for further care.
"She reportedly tried to put the fire out with a towel before the fire department arrived," Rutledge said.
The fire appears accidental, originating from a grease fire on a kitchen stove, Rutledge said. The fire was under control by 3:08 p.m. Minor damage was contained to the residence's stove and kitchen cabinets.
The occupant was alerted by a smoke detector. The family was not immediately displaced, Rutledge said.