Thursday, September 7, 2006
© Copyright 2014
Gwinnett Daily Post
BUFORD - Traffic was interrupted briefly on Wednesday afternoon because of a gas leak at Sardis Church and Hamilton Mill Roads.
But the leak was quickly contained, and traffic resumed within two hours, fire officials said.
Lt. Thomas Rutledge, spokesman for the Gwinnett County Fire Department, said in a press release that the leak was caused by a reported construction blast, which ruptured a 4-inch steel high pressure gas line.
Construction crews discovered the leak while using a trackhoe to remove debris in the blast area, the release stated.
Rutledge later said the department arrived at the scene with two fire trucks, a manpower squad vehicle and a hazardous materials team vehicle.
The hazmat team created a hot-zone perimeter, which resulted in the evacuation of approximately 10 residents from their homes and street closure, he said.
Buford Gas responded to the leak and had it under control by 4:45 p.m.
The only injury reported was a member of the construction crew, who was treated for a minor injury on the scene by fire personnel and subsequently released.
Residents were able to return to their homes a little after 5 p.m., and traffic in the closed area resumed at the same time, Rutledge said.