Wesleyan's Troyer gets 3,000th assist
• Wesleyan senior volleyball Caiti Troyer has surpassed the 3,000-assist mark for her career. Troyer reached the milestone in last Thursday's match vs. Brookwood.
Werhnyak falls in match play of U.S. Senior Women's Amateur
• Darlene Werhnyak of Lawrenceville advanced out of stroke play into match play in her first U.S. Senior Women's Amateur Championship at Sea Island before falling in her first-round match. The longtime Meadowcreek athletic director lost her opening match to Virginia state champion Mimi Hoffman, who claimed a 2-up victory.
Prep Rally honors Brookwood's Ledlum
• Gwinnett Prep Rally, a Gwinnett County high school sports TV program, airs highlights from Central Gwinnett-Meadowcreek, Brookwood-Berkmar, Parkview-Shiloh and North Gwinnett-Duluth. Featured athletes are North's Ryan McDaniel, team leader, and Brookwood's Demetre Ledlum, player of the week. Gwinnett Prep Rally airs each Wednesday and Thursday at 7:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. on Comcast Channel 25 and each Wednesday and Thursday at 9:30 p.m. on Charter Cable 19. It also airs on GCPS each Thursday at 10:30 p.m. and Friday at 6 p.m.
Parkview cross country on Prep Sports Plus
• The Parkview boys cross country team will be featured on this week's edition of Prep Sports Plus, Georgia Public Broadcasting's weekly high school sports show. The show airs Thursday at 7:30 p.m., Saturday at 6 p.m. and Sunday at 12:30 p.m.
Pacers' Jackson says he's sorry
• INDIANAPOLIS - Indiana Pacers guard Stephen Jackson is ''happy to be alive,'' after being punched in the mouth and hit by a car during a fight at a strip club in which police say he fired a gun in the air.
''I want to apologize to my teammates, to the fans and to this organization,'' Jackson said after his first practice since the fight early Friday. ''I definitely take responsibility for my action and everything I've done.''
Tuesday Indianapolis police arrested Deon Willford, 23, on felony counts relating to the fight, including criminal recklessness and leaving the scene of an accident.
Cubs interview ousted Girardi
• CHICAGO- Joe Girardi, considered a
leading candidate for the Chicago Cubs' managing job, interviewed for the position.
The Florida Marlins fired Girardi last week. He guided them to a 78-84 record and kept them in contention for a playoff spot until late September despite having the majors' youngest team and lowest payroll.
- From staff, wire reports