Two men charged in shooting death

WINDER - Two men charged with murder are accused of robbing their victim and shooting him when he tried to fight back.

According to an incident report completed Thursday and released Friday, the two men who are charged with the May 27 murder of 21-year-old Statham resident Aaron Gaddis kidnapped him and two others and held them at gunpoint.

The report, from the Barrow County Sheriff's Office, says the two men - later identified as 26-year-old Maurice Flourney of Monroe, and 28-year-old Michael Antonio Williams of Stone Mountain - were co-workers of Jaylon Vanderford. Gaddis, Vanderford and his girlfriend, Ashley Russell, were going to meet the pair because Flourney was interested in selling his car and Gaddis was looking for one.

Flourney and Williams were supposed to follow the others to Gaddis' home, Vanderford told police, but instead got into Vanderford's car after they met at the Kangaroo on Ga. Highway 11.

Vanderford and Russell both told police that Flourney and Williams pulled guns out once they were on Ga. Highway 316 and that they were held at gunpoint until they arrived at Gaddis' residence. Gaddis was ordered to take his clothes off outside the car, according to the police report, while Flourney and Williams told the others not to leave the car or use their cell phones to call for help.

It was unclear if the pair took anything.

Gaddis allegedly began arguing with Flourney and Williams once they were all back in the car. Both Vanderford and Russell told police they heard one of the men say that Gaddis had hit him, then heard a popping sound.

Gaddis yelled to be taken to the hospital, Russell told police, but Flourney and Williams demanded that Vanderford drive them back to the Kangaroo where they left their car. Vanderford, who said he almost lost control of the vehicle, took the pair back to their car before driving to the Barrow Regional Medical Center, the report said.

Russell crawled into the back seat and began CPR on Gaddis, according to the report, but learned when they arrived at the hospital that he had died of a single gunshot wound to the chest.

Chief Deputy Murray Kogod, spokesman for the Barrow County Sheriff's Office, did not return several phone calls Friday seeking more information about the case. He said previously that both Flourney and Williams were being held in the Barrow County Detention Center and that each was charged with one count of malice murder, one count of felony murder, three counts of kidnapping, two counts of aggravated assault, two counts of armed robbery and three counts of false imprisonment. Additional charges are possible.

County investigators and those from the Georgia Bureau of Investigation's Athens Office investigated the shooting. DeKalb County investigators assisted in Williams' arrest.