Saturday, July 8, 2006
© Copyright 2014
Gwinnett Daily Post
LAWRENCEVILLE - The Gwinnett County Fire and Emergency Services responded to two gas leaks Friday, one in Lawrenceville and one in Buford. The leaks occurred within two hours of each other.
According to Gwinnett County Fire Department spokesman Lt. Thomas Rutledge, employees at the Home Depot, located at 875 Lawrenceville-Suwanee Road, called 911 around 11:30 a.m. to report a gas leak from the meter and a gas odor inside the building.
The leak was caused by a painter who was painting the back of the building, Rutledge said. The painter was operating a motorized-lift when the wheel accidentally struck the gas meter
"The business was already evacuated when the firefighters arrived," Rutledge said. "An employee who was working inside the building at the time was evaluated after being exposed to the gas fumes."
Rutledge said that employee was treated and released at the scene.
According to Rutledge, approximately 100 employees and customers were evacuated from the store until the leak was brought under control around 12:20 p.m.
Lawrenceville Gas also responded to the scene, and firefighters monitored gas levels inside the building and the outside area immediately surrounding the building's structure.
A second gas leak took place about 1 p.m. on Mall of Georgia Boulevard near Ga. Highway 20.
According to Rutledge, the leak was caused by a construction crew digging in the area.
No evacuations and injuries were reported.