Cause of death disclosed in unsolved murder case

LAWRENCEVILLE - Police initially kept under wraps the cause of death in the case of a 21-year-old woman whose burned body was found in a private vineyard in


But almost four months have passed without any solid leads,

and now more details are becoming available.

Anke Furber, 21, died of a gunshot wound to the head, according to her mother, Ria Coesel of Marietta.

Coesel said police have given her the green light to talk more freely about her daughter's death in hopes that someone will come forward with new information. She is concerned that without any fresh information, her daughter's case will soon be


"There is nothing going on in the case, and I don't want it to be placed on the back burner," Coesel said. "I want people to work on it, so it is not going to disappear."

Coesel even plans to contact the television show "America's Most Wanted" in an attempt to get her daughter's story aired before a national audience.

Investigators have used home telephone records to contact some of Furber's friends, none of whom have provided any solid leads, said Detective Gilberto Lorenzo of the Gwinnett County Police Department in an interview last month. Lorenzo could not be reached for comment Monday.

The only possible suspect mentioned by Furber's acquaintances is a man nicknamed "D" who used to provide her with drugs, but investigators have been unable to discover that man's true identity, Coesel said.

Furber battled a drug addiction from an early age. Family members said she was trying to stay clean from methamphetamine in the months before she died. Toxicology tests showed no drugs or alcohol in Furber's system at the time of death, Coesel said.

Two children picking grapes with their parents off Reps Miller Road in Norcross stumbled upon Furber's charred remains on Sept. 25, 2005. Furber lived with her parents in Marietta and had no known ties to Gwinnett County.

No one is certain of Furber's comings and goings during the final days of her life. Coesel had gone to visit her family in the Netherlands, and her U.S.-born husband was vacationing with his brother in Seattle. Furber's father last spoke with her on the phone Sept. 23.

Police think she probably disappeared the following day.

Coesel believes someone knows more about her daughter's death, and she is increasingly frustrated by the lack of clues. The past few months have been the most difficult Coesel and her husband have ever experienced, she said.

"You would at least think if people don't want to talk, maybe they will say something anonymously," Coesel said. "That's what I would do if I knew something. It is a shame."

Anyone with information about the case is asked to contact Lorenzo at the Gwinnett County Police Department at 770-513-5318.