0

Gwinnett Fire busy over holiday

DULUTH - An early morning lightning strike caused a house fire in Duluth Monday, according to fire officials.

Firefighters were called out to a home at 4820 Peachtree Parkway at 4:33 a.m., Gwinnett Fire Lt. Thomas Rutledge said. The house sustained minor damage to a wall in the garage.

Rutledge said lightning struck a sprinkler line and traveled through the wall, causing a fire near the panel box in the garage.

The fire was brought under control at 4:51 a.m.

The fire department has been busy over the holiday weekend.

At about 1 a.m. on New Year's Day, a blaze caused heavy damage to a house at 590 Paden Drive in Lawrenceville.

No one was home when the fire originated from the chimney from a fire earlier in the fireplace, Rutledge said.

Flames spread to the second floor and attic before officials were forced to pull crews out due to intense heat and flames. Crews were able to go back in after several minutes, but the family of five has been displaced, Rutledge said.

That evening firefighters quickly extinguished a fire that originated from a chimney at 2457 Sterling Manor Drive in Buford.

Later, a house at 3811 Clare Court in Duluth was damaged by an accidental fire.

On Monday, there were two storm-related fires. Occupants of a home at 6003 Austin Garner Road in Buford called the fire department to report a lightning strike, which resulted in a small fire in a basement wall.

There was also a transformer fire at 468 Strickland Court in Grayson. According to Rutledge, firefighters on the scene observed there were flames from a transformer on a power pole. No injuries were reported in either incident.