Brookwood's George signs with West Virginia soccer
• Brookwood senior Stephen George has signed a soccer scholarship with West Virginia University. A Daily Post Super Six selection, he led the state runner-up Broncos with 11 goals and five assists last season. He also helped Brookwood to a state championship as a sophomore.
Wesleyan's Brown, Jackson to sign
• Wesleyan senior football players Steven Brown and Bobby Jackson will sign scholarships on Friday at the school's Chapman Library at 1 p.m. Brown has committed to Lehigh University in Bethlehem, Pa., and Jackson selected Trinity College in Hartford, Conn.
Brown, the son of Pam and Lewis Brown, is a 6-foot-4, 260-pound lineman. He had 57 tackles and eight sacks as a senior. Jackson, the son of Anita and Bob Jackson, rushed for 760 yards and added 230 receiving yards as a senior for Wesleyan, which advanced to the state playoffs.
Rathbun joins Suwanee Sports Academy staff
• Well-known speaker and broadcaster Bob Rathbun, the play-by-play announcer for the Atlanta Braves and Atlanta Hawks on Fox Sports South, has joined the staff of the Suwanee Sports Academy. He will serve as a motivator and teacher off the court for those involved in the academy's On Court Program. He regularly speaks to companies and organizations across the country about leadership, teamwork and personal growth traits.
"I am excited to be working with SSA parents and athletes," Rathbun said. "These kids are tomorrow's leaders and I think as parents and adults we have an obligation to give them the encouragement and direction that kids don't get today. There are so many great life lessons to be learned from sports, but I think our culture has lost focus on what is important in youth sports."
DiMarco commits to BellSouth Classic
• Chris DiMarco, the eighth-ranked golfer in the world, has committed to play in the BellSouth Classic, held March 30 to April 2 at the TPC at Sugarloaf in Duluth. DiMarco has won more than $2 million on the PGA Tour in each of the past six seasons. He joins a 2006 BellSouth commitment list that also includes past champions Phil Mickelson, Ben Crane, Zach Johnson, Scott McCarron and Bob Tway.
Prep Rally highlights region tourneys
• This week's Gwinnett Prep Rally includes highlights from the Region 7-AAAAA and 8-AAAAA basketball semifinals and championships. Norcross' Jodie Meeks is player of the week.
Gwinnett Prep Rally airs each Wednesday and Thursday at 7:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. on Comcast Channel 25 and each Wednesday and Thursday at 9:30 p.m. on Charter Cable 19. It also airs on GCPS each Thursday at 10:30 p.m. and Friday at 6 p.m.
Dacula to hold 3 vs. 3 soccer tourney
• Dacula High School soccer is hosting a 3 vs. 3 soccer tournament on Saturday at Rabbit Hill Park. Cost is $30, which includes lunch, and all proceeds go to the soccer program. Cleats aren't permitted. For more information, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 404-216-2130.
Broncos' Smith tops Coaches Choice team
• The football season may have ended months ago, but the awards haven't stopped rolling in for Brookwood running back Cameron Smith.
Smith, who rushed for a school-record 2,434 yards and 32 touchdowns in helping lead the Broncos to the state title game, was selected as the Class AAAAA Player of the Year for the Georgia Athletic Coaches Association "Coaches Choice" all-state football team.
The team was chosen at a recent meeting and was selected by the coaches.
Other Gwinnett County players selected to the team were Parkview's Michael Palmer and Caleb King, Brookwood's Rennie Curran, Dacula's Josh Warren and Buford's Steven Singleton.
Brookwood's Mark Crews was chosen as the North Class AAAAA Coach of the Year.
Garner to remain at Georgia
• ATHENS - Georgia recruiting coordinator Rodney Garner did not receive an additional pay raise when he decided to remain with the Bulldogs, Georgia associate athletic director Claude Felton said Tuesday.
For the second straight offseason, Garner considered leaving Georgia for a job in Louisiana. Last year, Garner received a pay raise to remain in Athens after talking with Louisiana State. This year, Garner interviewed with the NFL's New Orleans Saints. Garner, also Georgia's defensive line coach, announced Monday he would remain at Georgia.
Falcons hire Lombardi as assistant
• ATLANTA - Forty years after trying unsuccessfully to hire his famous grandfather, the Atlanta Falcons on Monday named Joe Lombardi as a defensive assistant coach.
Lombardi, who comes to the Falcons from Mercyhurst College in Erie, Pa., will not be in charge of a position but is expected to work with defensive coordinator Ed Donatell and possibly defensive line coach Bill Johnson.
Lombardi is the grandson of the late Vince Lombardi, the legendary coach of the Green Bay Packers.
SuperSonics send Radmanovic to Clippers for Wilcox
• SEATTLE - The Seattle SuperSonics traded Vladimir Radmanovic to the Los Angeles Clippers for Chris Wilcox on Tuesday in a swap of 6-foot-10 forwards auditioning for next season.
Radmanovic and Wilcox will be free agents at seasons end and both had fallen out of favor with their previous teams.
''They were looking for guy who can shoot from the outside and Vlade pretty much indicated he wasn't going to re-sign with us,'' Sonics general manager Rick Sund said. ''Wilcox wasn't really fitting into their club. Hopefully it will work out for both teams.''
- From staff, wire reports