Dryer causes house fire that injures one

•LAWRENCEVILLE - A house fire on White Ridge Trace Friday morning resulted in the displacement of a three-member family.

Firefighters were dispatched at 6:52 a.m., and the fire was under control at 7:30 a.m., said Lt. Thomas Rutledge, spokesman for the Gwinnett County Fire Department.

Firefighters encountered heavy smoke upon arrival, and the blaze caused heavy damage to the second floor and attic, Rutledge said.

The fire has been ruled accidental and was caused by a dryer fire in an upstairs laundry room, Rutledge said.

The only injury reported was from a male occupant who received a minor injury to the hand, Rutledge said.

He was the only one home at the time, and was treated and released at the scene.

The family denied Red Cross assistance, Rutledge said.

House fire

displaces six

•LAWRENCEVILLE - A house fire just after noon on Friday has left a family of six displaced.

Firefighters responded to the fire on Terrace Lake Drive in Lawrenceville, said Lt. Thomas Rutledge, spokesman for the Gwinnett County Police Department.

Rutledge said the fire originated in the chimney from a fire burning in the fireplace.

A neighbor told the occupants about the fire after seeing flames coming from the top of the chimney.

The fire caused heavy damage to the second floor and the attic of the structure, and the flames went through the roof before firefighters could bring it under control, Rutledge said.

Five of of the six occupants were home at the time of the fire and escaped without injury, Rutledge said.

The family denied Red Cross assistance, as they were being assisted by friends and neighbors.

- From staff reports