Second suspect in shootout nabbed

LAWRENCEVILLE - The FBI on Friday arrested a man believed to be connected to a Lilburn bank robbery turned shootout earlier this week.

Lamont Russaw, 22, of Lawrenceville, was arrested at a residence in Lawrenceville at around 10:30 a.m., according to a press release from the Atlanta field office of the FBI.

Russaw is believed to be the second suspect in a Tuesday night bank robbery at the El Banco at 4271 Lawrenceville Highway, the FBI said.

The first suspect, identified as 23-year-old Aubrey Orlando Tutwiler of Lawrenceville, was shot and killed in a shootout with police Tuesday.

Russaw escaped during the shooting.

Russaw is also suspected of robbing the same bank on Oct. 4, the FBI said.

Gwinnett and Lilburn police were present during the arrest.

Special Agent Stephen Emmett, spokesman for the FBI in Atlanta, said Russaw is charged with two counts of bank robbery and two counts of use of a weapon in the commission of a crime for the two robberies.

These are federal charges that will be tried in federal court, Emmett said.

"He has been charged via a criminal complaint and he will go before a U.S. Magistrate judge on Monday on those charges for an initial appearance," Emmett said.

As for the incident, Russaw and Tutwiler allegedly robbed the after-hours bank about 7:30 p.m. and encountered Lilburn police officers outside who were responding to a silent hold-up alarm, said Lilburn police spokesman Sgt. Tyler Thomas.

The officers were waiting for the suspects to exit the bank, Thomas said.

After the suspects refused to surrender, a shootout ensued, and Tutwiler was shot and killed, Thomas said.

It is still unknown who shot first, but it was confirmed that a Lilburn officer fired the fatal shot at Tutwiler, Thomas said.

Investigators are uncertain if Russaw was hit by a bullet during the shooting, but Thomas said Russaw did not appear to be wounded at the time of his arrest.

Cpl. Darren Moloney, spokesman for the Gwinnett County Police Department, said Russaw could face charges in Gwinnett.