Man sees wife shot to death

Police: Suspect alive after shooting himself

LAWRENCEVILLE - A 33-year-old man gunned down a woman in front of her husband and son Wednesday morning and then shot himself, according to police.

Details about what occurred were still sketchy at press time, and the woman's name had not been released pending notification of her death to extended family. Authorities said the suspect, Naghia Tran, knew the victim and her husband, but the nature of their relationship remained a mystery Wednesday.

"He shot the woman. We don't know why," said Cpl. Darren Moloney, spokesman for the Gwinnett County Police Department. "We don't know what the argument was about. We don't know the extent of their relationship."

Witnesses told police Tran was standing with the victim and her husband outside their car in a cul-de-sac on Patterson Close Court in Lawrenceville when Tran brandished a handgun. He reportedly shot the woman, then turned the weapon on himself.

The woman was pronounced dead at the scene. Tran survived and was transported to Gwinnett Medical Center. He was listed in critical but stable condition Wednesday afternoon, Moloney said.

The victim's husband was unharmed. The woman's 2-year-old son, who was asleep in the back of the car during the shooting, also was unscathed.

The shooting happened in front of a house where Tran's family members live, but he does not live there, said Moloney. The victim and her husband were visiting from Alabama.

Terry Johnson, who lives two doors down on Patterson Close Court, had just left home to walk his son to the bus stop when the shooting occurred. The victim's husband ran up to him and asked him to call the police.

The husband told Johnson he came there to confront Tran because Tran was in love with his wife and he wanted to put a stop to it.

"He was very distraught," Johnson said. "He tried to move his wife's body and he was covered with blood."

Johnson said Tran was lying on the ground wounded and he initially appeared dead, but after a short time he began moving.

"That's more blood than I wanted to see this morning," Johnson said. "This is a pretty quiet neighborhood. That has been the most officers on the scene in this neighborhood since I've been here for the past five years."

Police could not confirm witness accounts and said the case is still under active investigation.