0

Sprinkler system contains fire at apartment

DULUTH - An apartment kitchen caught fire Wednesday evening when the owner left food on the stove for too long.

Firefighters arrived at 1435 Boggs Road in the Idlewylde Apartments to find the flames contained by the emergency water sprinkler system, said Gwinnett County Fire Department spokesman Thomas Rutledge.

The residents were home at the time of the fire but escaped uninjured.

Firefighters were able to put the blaze out in less than 10 minutes but the fire caused minor damage to the kitchen and sent smoke throughout the apartment unit.