Dog dies in house fire
LAWRENCEVILLE - A dog died Wednesday in a house fire at 1577 Isham Drive in Lawrenceville.
A neighbor reported seeing smoke coming from the residence at 10:30 a.m. Firefighters arrived to find heavy smoke pouring from the roof vents, said Thomas Rutledge, spokesman for the Gwinnett County Fire Department.
No one was home, but two cats were rescued from the two-story structure. A large dog died in the blaze.
The fire was brought under control at 10:58 a.m.
"Firefighters made a tremendous stop on the fire," Rutledge said. "It had already extended into the attic space when they arrived, and they were able to cut it off."
A husband and wife were displaced because of the extensive heat, smoke and water damage. The American Red Cross was assisting the couple with temporary shelter.
Norcross man stabbed in arm during assault
NORCROSS - A Norcross man was stabbed in the arm Monday during an assault at Jimmy Carter Boulevard and Joseph Way.
The 22-year-old victim was stabbed in the left bicep during a fight. The wound was bleeding heavily when police arrived at about 1:30 a.m., according to police reports. The victim could not say where he was stabbed or who assaulted him.
He was taken to Dunwoody Medical Center for treatment.
Officer injured in traffic stop
NORCROSS - Someone ran over a police officer's foot in his hurry to flee a traffic stop earlier this month on Interstate 85 South at Indian Trail Road.
Officer T.P. Adams observed a white Chrysler Sebring speeding on the interstate June 8 and pulled the vehicle over. As Adams was approaching the rear door of the Chrysler on foot, the driver sped off. The officer's foot was run over by the rear left wheel.
Adams was treated for bruising and strained ligaments in his foot and ankle. The tag number on the Chrysler was traced to a dealership in Valdosta.
Police are investigating the incident.
Teens allegedly drive grandmother's car into water pole
WINDER - A 13- and 14-year-old girl allegedly drove the car of one of the girl's grandmothers, breaking a water main, damaging a telephone junction and destroying a large bush.
The 14-year-old was charged with two counts of damage to property, hit and run - leaving the scene of an accident, and driving while unlicensed, according to a police report. The 13-year-old received a citation for driving without a driver's license, the report said.
According to statements the two girls made, the 13-year-old started her grandmother's car about 1 p.m. Friday and drove around for a little while before the girls switched seats. The 14-year-old took a wrong turn, according to the statements, and went into a yard, hitting a bush and a water pole, before pulling over in a cul-de-sac and letting the 13-year-old drive the rest of the way home.
A witness followed the girls to their home, the report said, where the girls called their mothers. Both girls also were charged as unruly juveniles, the report said.
Resident robbed in home invasion
WINDER - A man was allegedly robbed of more than $400 after a home
Two black men allegedly broke into a residence on Georgia Avenue at 2:28 a.m. Sunday. The men had guns, the alleged victim told police, and forced him to lie on the floor, taking off his clothes, according to a police report.
The victim told police the pair took at least $400 out of his pocket, and took his cell phone so he could not call police. One of the two left, according to a police report, while the other hit the alleged victim on the head with wooden slats from his bed.
10-year-old suffers burns from bottle filled with gasoline
WINDER - A 10-year-old suffered third-degree burns after he set fire to a Coca-Cola bottle filled with gasoline.
The child's brother told police that he and a friend found the bottle filled with gasoline behind 144 E. Midland Ave. about 11 a.m. Sunday. According to a police report, all three walked behind the residence near a creek. They then found a match and lit it, the report said, and the 10-year-old's right shoe and pant leg caught on fire.
The 10-year-old was life-flighted to Grady Memorial Hospital's burn unit, the report said.
- From staff reports