Man turns himself in after standoff

LAWRENCEVILLE - Lawrenceville police Thursday attempted to arrest a man who had an active arrest warrant out of DeKalb County.

Jason Earl Sims, 26, barricaded himself in his brother's basement after police confronted him, according to a police report.

Gwinnett County police's SWAT team was called in to retrieve Sims, but he turned himself in after two hours. No one was injured.

Sims was wanted in DeKalb County for a probation violation, the report said.

$10,000 stolen from auto parts store

NORCROSS - A Norcross store was robbed of an estimated $10,000 after two men held customers and employees at gunpoint about 9:15 p.m. Wednesday.

Two black men entered the Advance Auto Parts store on Jimmy Carter Boulevard, quickly put black stockings on their heads, pointed their handguns and ordered everyone to get on the floor, according to a police report.

One suspect told the manager to take him to the safe and empty it or he would be shot, the report said.

The manager emptied the safe, the report said, and was told to empty the registers as well, which he did.

The suspects also stole $275 from two of the customers at the store, according to the report.

One suspect was described as a black man, about 5 feet 10 inches tall, with short hair, a medium build and a possible mustache. The other suspect was described as a black man, about 5 feet 10 inches tall, with short hair and a medium build.

The store's camera wasn't working when the incident occurred.

Man robbed at gunpoint for $20

NORCROSS - A Norcross man arrived home to the Cooper Mill Apartment complex and was held at gunpoint Tuesday afternoon, a police report said.

Two men approached the victim as he exited his vehicle, the report said, and one suspect told the victim to give him all his money.

The man with the gun then chambered a round and pointed the gun at the victim, according to the report. The victim told police he gave him $20 in cash and the two suspects left.

The armed suspect was described as a black man, about 5 feet 7 inches to 5 feet 9 inches tall, and about 25 years old. The suspect was wearing a red hat with a doo rag under it, a long blue shirt and black pants, according to the report.

Man attacked in robbery attempt

DULUTH - A Duluth man was attacked in an attempted robbery at 3 a.m. Thursday, according to a police report.

The victim was returning to his home at the Grand Club Apartment complex and told police he was followed into the complex by a blue mini-van. The victim said the van cut him off and when he got out of his car, the report said, the suspect left his van as well and demanded the victim's money and jewelry. The victim refused, so the suspect went back to his van.

The victim began to run, thinking that the suspect was going to get a gun, but stopped when he saw the suspect got a bottle instead.

The suspect smashed the bottle on the ground and then slashed the victim on the biceps. The suspect then got in his van and fled.

The victim wrote down the tag number and notified the police. The van was found in the same apartment complex and impounded.


Police investigate baby's leg fracture

WINDER - Police are investigating an alleged child abuse incident after a father said he only broke his child's leg because he did not know his own strength.

A Winder couple took their 5-week-old child to the Gwinnett Medical Center July 15 with a broken femur, according to a police report.

The man told police the child had its leg under itself, and he broke it when he tried to straighten it out, according to the report.

A representative of Barrow County's Department of Family and Children Services told police the child may be removed from the home when the child is released from the hospital. Doctors at Scottish Rite Medical Center, where the child was transferred, found bilateral rib fractures on the infant that are healing, the report said.

Title Pawn robbed

WINDER - A man is accused of robbing Winder Title Pawn on Friday morning.

An employee at the pawn shop told police an Asian man who is a customer at the shop took about $65 from the register and left after pushing her to the ground, according to a police report.

The employee said the man came into the shop at 10 a.m. when it opened. He sat around saying he was waiting for his sister to arrive, then asked if he could use the phone, the report said.

The man put the phone down on the counter, then stepped behind the employee and poked her in the back with something hard, the report said When the man saw the employee reach for the panic button, the report said, he pushed the employee to the ground, jerked the door out of the cash register, grabbed the cash and left. The employee had minor scratches and swelling, the report said.

The man was driving a gray Toyota pickup, according to the report. Warrants are being sought for armed robbery and battery.

- From staff reports