Saturday, July 9, 2005
© Copyright 2014
Gwinnett Daily Post
LAWRENCEVILLE - A fire left one person injured and several displaced after it ripped through a Duluth duplex early Friday morning.
When firefighters arrived at 3341 Fox St. at 7:59 a.m., flames were shooting from one side of the duplex, according to Gwinnett County Fire and Emergency Services reports.
The fire eventually reached the attic and broke through the roof, but firefighters were able to bring the fire under control at 8:24 a.m.
Gwinnett fire officials were unable to disclose the name of the injured person and the extent of injuries, but said the fire was caused by a toddler playing with a cigarette lighter in a back bedroom.
"Fire is the most destructive force in nature," Gwinnett County Public Information Officer Tommy Rutledge said. "When you mix a child and fire it's a losing combination."
The injured adult was transported to Joan Glancy Hospital in Duluth for observation.
Nine adults and three children were displaced by the fire, with the duplex unit where the fire began receiving heavy damage and the adjoining unit receiving extensive smoke, heat and water damage.