0

Residents evacuate assisted living center because of smoke

SNELLVILLE - An assisted living employee was transported to the hospital with minor injuries after helping residents evacuate the building because of smoke on Friday evening.

Firefighters arrived on the scene to find Eastside Garden Assisted Living residents safely evacuated.

A furnace had melted wire on the second floor and produced a light haze of smoke but no fire, said Thomas Rutledge, Gwinnett County Fire Department spokesman.

Rutledge said the employee's injuries were not fire-related but were acquired during the evacuation.