Police look for clues in local death

LAWRENCEVILLE - Police were still searching for clues Thursday in the slaying of a mother of five who was found dead in her Norcross apartment earlier this week.

Investigators have questioned family and friends of 36-year-old Angela Green. They are also talking to her estranged common-law husband, Gary Green, with whom she had a rocky relationship since 1989.

Everybody in the case is being cooperative, said Detective Brian Ray of the Gwinnett County Police Department.

Department spokesman Officer Darren Moloney acknowledged that Angela and Gary Green have a

documented history of domestic violence complaints, but he had not seen any of those reports as of press time Thursday.

"That's one of the first things investigators do, run names through the system and see what pops up," Moloney said. "We are aware of those reports."

While the police reports were not immediately available, court records show that the Greens were common-law husband and wife since 1989. They had four daughters and a son. The children range in age from 8 to 15 years old.

Gary Green filed for divorce and a mutual restraining order in February 2004, but the couple agreed to drop the case nine months later. Investigators are not sure whether the Greens were reconciled or separated at the time Angela was found dead in her Wood Chase apartment off Brook Hollow Parkway on Tuesday, Ray said.

The children were staying with their father at another location at the time the slaying was discovered.

Police have not released a cause of death or motive.

Moloney said the front door of the apartment was forced open, and there were other "physical signs which made the death suspicious." Moloney declined to elaborate on the condition of the apartment or the body.

Court records show Angela Green filed for a temporary protective order against her husband three times.

In the first petition filed Jan. 22, 1999, Angela stated she was arguing with Gary over money when he took the car key as she was trying to leave with three of their children. He then pushed her down a hill, according to the records. She reportedly left and filed a police report.

On July 20, 2002, Angela claimed Gary awakened her at 5:30 a.m. by flipping over the mattress she was lying on, causing her to roll toward the window and hit her head.

In the last petition for a temporary protective order filed in May 2003, Angela said she went to pick Gary up from a dentist appointment and saw him walking on the side of the road. When she stopped, he dragged her out of the car, took the car and left, according to the records.

Gary also filed for a temporary protective order the following month because of the same incident. He claimed he overheard a conversation between Angela and a boyfriend while on his cell phone at the dentist. Gary confronted Angela when she stopped to pick him up and said "You're busted," according to the petition. He claimed she began hitting and scratching him, so he drove away, leaving her there.

Police on Thursday said it was too early to tell if there are suspects or solid leads in the case.